The locality mark originates from the city mark, which came into use in the 1600's. At that time the compulsory mark made it clear in which town an object had been made. Smiths were only allowed to practise their profession in cities.

In old locality marks the base form was unregulated, but now the base form is a shield. Earlier, the base form of the locality mark often followed the same form as the fineness mark; for example a locality mark was punched with the gold products' oval base.

A town may apply for its own mark by written application to TUKES. Previously registered locality marks are still available in spite of subsequent consolidations of towns. There are several marks still in use today that were accepted at the time of the 1943 locality mark reform.